Greens aren’t so bad, in truth they are actually kind of lovable. Especially in the spring when they are at their greenest. So I compiled all the green things in my fridge, added some frills, and ended up with this little bowl of healthy.
Simple and satisfying, it’s a perfect antidote to sugar overload. Or just to eat because you’re hungry and it tastes really good.
Get your green on.
PS. If you were asking yourself if those are assorted undergarments surrounding the edge of the bowl in the photos, the answer is yes. The bowl comes from fishs eddy (purchased years ago), the coolest little kitchen shop in NYC.
All things green salad
1 bunch asparagus
½ cup scallions, sliced on an angle (just greens)
2 cups small English peas
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
4 cups baby arugula
4 eggs, hard cooked
2 tbs olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
- boil the eggs: in a large pot cover 4 eggs with cold water until just submerged. bring to a boil, then put heat low and cover the pot. let eggs cook an additional 8 minutes. Remove and run eggs under cold water until cool enough to handle. Peel immediately and set aside.
- bring 2nd large pot of water to a boil.
- remove woody ends of asparagus, cut spears on an angle into bite size pieces.
- drop cut asparagus into the water. blanch 5 minutes or until tender. Put in ice bath to stop cooking and preserve color. Remove from ice bath and set aside.
- Blanch peas 3 minutes or until just cooked. Ice bath it. remove and set aside with asparagus. let cool.
- Slice scallion on diagonal, just the greens!
- Put arugula in a big salad bowl and combine all green things. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper, add the cheese cheese, squeeze lemon over everything, drizze with olive oil, toss to combine.
- slice eggs and lay them atop salad.